This course is designed to help develop and refine the real estate practitioner's decision-making skills from an ethical standpoint. Using factual and hypothetical case studies, group discussions, workshops, and videos, participants will study various real estate ethical codes to acquire the tools and strategies to maintain strict ethical standards. Credit is awarded for this three-day core course upon successful completion of an exam.
The Importance of Ethical Business Practice
- What is ethics?
We strongly suggest that you register for your course at least 30 days in advance.
Number of Days: 3
Home Study: No
Online Format: Yes
Attendance: Required for in-class format
Assessment Type: Exam
Passing Grade: 70%
Fees include: Course Manual, Textbook
Required Materials: None
6 NSAR CPE
12 AIC CPD
- Why are ethics so important?
- Sources of ethical values
- The concept of moral reasoning
- Business ethics
- The ethics checklist
- Fundamental ethical values
- Five core values based on the word "TRUST"
- REIC Code of Professional Standards
Developing Ethical Values
- Development of ethical values
- The three imperatives for human conduct
- Intervention scenario
- The ethics puzzle
- Maslow's hierarchy of needs
Ethical Decision Making
- Steps to ethical decision-making; an organized approach
- Discussion on codes
- Ethics pyramid
- Why do ethical problems arise?
- Grey areas in ethics
Ethics Articles, Codes, etc.
- Review of the codes: REIC, IREM, CREA, provincial regulatory codes (i.e. Real Estate Brokerage Act)
- Case studies: discussion, resolution, decision
Business Ethics Annual Edition, included in the course tuition and will be supplied on the first day of the course.